Children Change Colombia Fundraising Intern
Role Description and Person Specification
Place of Work: Old Street, London
Reports to: Fundraising & Finance Assistant
Timeframe: Minimum six months
Hours: One and a half or two days a week (from 10am to 5pm)
Start date: Monday 21st August
Closing Date for Applications: Tuesday 8th August (end of day)
Salary: Unpaid – Travel (up to £7.30) and lunch (up to £4.50) expenses will be reimbursed daily
Interested in International Development? Want to be part of a growing organisation that is changing the lives of children in Colombia? You might be just who we are looking for!
Children Change Colombia is looking for an enthusiastic intern who can commit to spending between 1.5 and 2 days a week in our London office for the duration of 6 months. Days and hours worked each week can be flexible, but will be approved in advance in discussion with your line manager.
About Children Change Colombia
Children Change Colombia (formerly Children of the Andes) is a UK registered charity with 25 years' experience in defending children's rights in Colombia.
Today we are the largest UK charity working exclusively in Colombia. By working in partnership with local children's organisations in Colombia, we support children and their families to challenge poverty, inequality, discrimination and violence. Despite a growing economy and prospects of an end to the long-running conflict, millions of children still face poverty, violence and exclusion from the opportunities presented by a changing society.
So whether they are threatened by forced displacement, sexual exploitation or recruitment into armed groups, whether denied education, a loving family or a place to play, we work to ensure that every child can claim their right to a safe and happy childhood and a fulfilling future.
Purpose of the Role
We are a small and lively organisation and you will quickly become an essential part of our friendly team, involved in all areas of discussion and supporting the many areas of our work. At present our organisation is experiencing a unique and exciting moment in its history - in October 2015 we changed our name and logo. With our new name we aim to raise the profile of our charity in order to raise more funds and reach more children at risk in Colombia. Your support in promoting the new name, through the fundraising tasks you carry out, will be valuable and very much appreciated.
There's a great working atmosphere in our office and everyone is extremely committed to the work we do in Colombia. We want you to enjoy working with us and gain valuable skills and experience during your time as an intern. If there are other areas that you are interested in which are not specified here then we would be keen to help you get this experience. We are located in Development House - a building full of other charities. Great for networking!
The Children Change Colombia internship will give you a broad range of experience covering many aspects of working for a small charity - the perfect springboard to finding a job in the not-for-profit sector.
- Contributing to our Donor Development strategy by helping us to keep our donor database up to date
- Engage current and new donors by communicating with our supporters, engaging new standing order donors and current supporters with new fundraising ideas.
- Supporting the Events & Community Fundraiser to outreach and engage new churches.
- Thanking donors
- Assisting with the mailing of our bi-annual newsletter and Christmas Appeal
- Taking the lead in developing your own fundraising projects to support and promote Children Change Colombia, with support from the Fundraising Team
- Supporting our general finance tasks, data-inputting, etc.
- Engaging supporters through Children Change Colombia social media pages (Facebook, Twitter)
- Contributing to the production of material for our website
- Designing e-shots
- Ad hoc translations (if you are interested)
- Admin support as and when needed
- Help planning, promoting and following up our events including our annual Project Talk (and organise your own if you fancy it!)
- Helping us to outreach to potential supporters at community events (festivals, fairs etc.)
This internship is ideally suited to an Undergraduate or Master's student in development or related fields, who is looking to compliment their studies with practical experience of the charity sector, or someone working part-time looking to gain more experience in the not-for-profit sector.
Skills & Experience
- Enthusiasm and a commitment to our work with at risk children
- Desire to gain office experience in a small charity
- An interest in international development
- Good knowledge of MS Excel and Word, and the ability to (learn to) use MS Access and Civi CRM database software
- Proactive and able to use own initiative
- Very good attention to detail
- Good organisational skills
- Ability to work with a team and independently
- Fluent English - spoken and written
- Knowledge and/or experience in social media or SEO is desirable
- Previous administrative experience is desirable
- Experience organising events is desirable
- Knowledge of Spanish is desirable
- Knowledge of Colombia is desirable
To apply please send your CV (2 pages max) and a short cover letter (1 page max) to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the cover letter please state clearly why you want this role and the skills and experience you possess relevant to this post and how you meet the person specification.
Children Change Colombia is committed to equality of opportunity and to non-discrimination for all applicants and employees, and we seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce regardless of gender, race, religious beliefs, nationality, ethnic/national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.