Children Change Colombia Fundraising and Finance Intern
Role Description and Person Specification
Place of Work: Bethnal Green, London
Reports to: Fundraising, Finance & Communications Assistant
Timeframe: Minimum six months
Hours: Two days a week (from 10am to 5pm Monday-Friday) The days you work are up to you, and can be flexible
Start date: W/C 8th October 2018
Closing Date for Applications: Sunday 30th September 2018 (12pm)
Salary: Unpaid – Travel (up to £7.30) and lunch (up to £4.50) expenses will be reimbursed daily
Interested in International Development? Want to be part of a growing organisation that is changing the lives of children in Colombia? You might be just who we are looking for!
Children Change Colombia is looking for an enthusiastic intern who can commit to spending 2 days a week in our London office for the duration of a minimum of 6 months. Days and hours worked each week can be flexible, and can be arranged in advance with your line manager.
About Children Change Colombia
Children Change Colombia (formerly Children of the Andes) is a UK registered charity with 25 years' experience in defending children's rights in Colombia. Today we are the UK's largest charity working exclusively in Colombia. We work with children whose rights to a safe, happy childhood, and a fulfilling future, are threatened by poverty, inequality and violence. We work with the children most at risk, to keep them safe and defend their rights in the long term, to tackle neglected issues that few others address and to strengthen children's organisations.
Through local partnerships, we currently work on four neglected issues:
• sexual and gender-based violence (including conflict related sexual violence)
• commercial sexual exploitation
• recruitment into armed groups and reintegration into society of former child soldiers
We believe that, with a knowledge of their rights and the confidence to assert them, children can transform their own lives, their communities and Colombia itself.
We are a small and lively organisation and you will quickly become an essential part of our friendly team, involved in all areas of discussion and supporting the many areas of our work.
Purpose of the Role
The Children Change Colombia internship will give you a broad range of experience covering many aspects of working for a small charity - the perfect springboard to finding a job in the not-for-profit sector.
- Contributing to our Donor Development strategy by helping us to keep our donor database up to date
- Engage current and new donors by communicating with our supporters, engaging new standing order donors and current supporters with new fundraising ideas.
- Supporting the Events & Community Fundraiser to outreach and engage new churches and schools.
- Thanking donors
- Assisting with the mailing of our bi-annual newsletter and Christmas Appeal
- Taking the lead in developing your own fundraising projects to support and promote Children Change Colombia, with support from the Fundraising Team
- Supporting our general finance tasks, data-inputting, etc.
- Engaging supporters through Children Change Colombia social media pages (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)
- Contributing to the production of material for our website
- Monitor and update Google Ad Words account
- Ad hoc translations (if you are interested)
- Admin support as and when needed
- Help planning, promoting and following up our events including our annual Project Talk (and organise your own if you fancy it!)
- Helping us to outreach to potential supporters at community events (festivals, fairs etc.)
This internship is ideally suited to an Undergraduate or Master's student in development or related fields, who is looking to compliment their studies with practical experience of the charity sector, or someone working part-time looking to gain more experience in the not-for-profit sector.
Skills & Experience
- Enthusiasm and a commitment to our work with at risk children
- Desire to gain office experience in a small charity
- An interest in international development
- Good knowledge of MS Excel and Word, and the ability to (learn to) use MS Access and Civi CRM database software
- Proactive and able to use own initiative
- Very good attention to detail
- Good organisational skills
- Ability to work with a team and independently
- Fluent English - spoken and written
- Have a basic level Spanish (Intermediate/advanced level is desirable)
- Experience using social media
- Knowledge and/or experience with social media reporting or SEO
- Previous administrative experience is desirable
- Experience organising events is desirable
- Knowledge of Colombia is desirable
Please note that successful candidates will be expected to accept and commit to Children Change Colombia’s Child Protection Policy.
To apply please send your CV (2 pages max) and a short cover letter (1 page max) to email@example.com. In the cover letter please state clearly why you want this role and the skills and experience you possess relevant to this post and how you meet the person specification.
We will acknowledge all applications, but to minimise administrative costs we cannot guarantee detailed feedback if you are not selected.
Children Change Colombia is committed to equality of opportunity and to non-discrimination for all applicants and employees, and we seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce regardless of gender, race, religious beliefs, nationality, ethnic/national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Interviews will be taking place during the week commencing the 1st of October 2018. All interviews will be held at our London office and we are unable to offer interviews via skype or phone.
Find out more about the role, read our previous Fundraising and Finance Intern's account of her time with Children Change Colombia here.